Friday, June 15, 2012

Best Evers....

I had a few best evers this week that I felt compelled to share.

1) Best ever interview question.  I had a 3,4,5, and 6th interview (all rolled into one day) at this place that I have been in the interview process with since April. That, my friends, is not the part I am referring to as the best ever. However, during the course of the day, a couple of amazing things happened.  The first was the following interview question: "If you woke up tomorrow and it was the Zombie Apocalypse, what two weapons would you use to protect your family, and why."  This is not a joke.  This was an actual question, that they wanted an actual answer to.  First, both myself and the interviewer laughed.  Then we had a brief, but important discussion about whether I needed to choose offensive weapons or could consider defensive tactics in my answer as well.  I forgot to ask whether actual weapons and fictional weapons were all fair game. :(  I finally settled on a Doomsday Prepper style bunker, fully stocked with survival supplies for a year, and napalm, to wipe out a large number of zombies at one time, while still keeping me far enough removed to not have to witness much blood and gore. This interview question alone was amazing, but it was shortly afterwards that I noticed 2 light sabers sitting in the corner of the conference room, which only served to increase the awesome factor. While there is no explanation for the randomness that occured, I really, really like it.

2)  Best ever dog interaction.  I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but ever since we moved, my dog has been having a hard time with anxiety.  He is a huge 95lb. beast of a dog that gets startled when a garbage truck goes by, doesn't understand how dog territory works in an apartment building, and refused to poop anywhere but grass for the first 2 months we lived here.....which proved interesting since the nearest grass is 3 blocks away.  Needless to say, it has been an adjustment.  The whole dog-territory thing has been the most challenging.  As a German Shepherd, whose natural instict is to protect a defined territory or person/people, he really struggled with what space was "his".  Was it just our apartment?  Our floor?  The whole building?  What about the area in front of the building?? OY! SO CONFUSING!  He has been very leary of other dogs being in this enormous gray area of territory.  While he gets along fabulously with other dogs, this has been a whole new ballgame.  The other night however, we went outside, and some of our building canines were hanging out with their owners in front of the building. Miniature Schnauzer, Pittbull, German Shepherd, and Boxer, all gathered together like a happy family.....and I feared that Popeye was on his way to ruin the party, but I wanted to see if he could keep  it together. As always, I had a pocket full of delicious treats, specifically for situations like this one.  We made it outside, and he immediately barked once, but I quickly corrected him and asked him to sit.  I got him to calm down, every few minutes making sure I still had his attention, and giving him a treat.  Within 10 minutes, he was calm and went to sniff and meet all of the other dogs!  No barking!  No scuffles! YAHOO!!!  In fact, within 20 minutes, he was having fun playing and wrestling with the Pitbull. Seriously, best dog interaction ever!!

3)  Best workout ever.  Ok....not really ever, but in the last year.  I have been dying to get back to the gym.  I literally stopped going a year ago when our lives were upended to move accross the country.  At this point last year, my husband was gone for 5 months of training, I was on my own, renovating our house, packing, searching for apartments, preparing for the move, and basically losing my mind.  While I realize that getting to the gym would have been cathartic, it just didn't happen.  So here we are a year later, and I had determined that if I didn't get into a gym, stat, that I would likely shrivel up and die.  So on Tuesday I took advantage of a 30 days for $30 deal at a local gym and went in for my first workout.  Obviously it wasn't really my best workout ever, because it was the first one in a long time, but damn, feeling the burn was awesome.  I did 40 minutes  on the Precor, followed by free weights. I am still sore today, and I fricking love it.

It was a good week overall.....however.....

Tomorrow is test day.  Doomsday.  If I even make it that far. This is our 14th cycle/17th month trying to get pregnant. I am burnt the F out....but giving up isn't an option.  I am 31. I want children. I have next to no control over how effective all of this trying is, and while I want more than anything to be pregnant, after all of this time, it also scares me. I haven't talked much on here about our infertility or my TTC journey, because I honestly feel like it is at a stand-still right now.  We know what the problem is (kind of - Unexplained Infertility), we know what we should do if we want to increase our odds, and we are knowingly NOT doing that right now while we save up money for treatments, and try to get my job situation locked up. As things progress, I am sure I will have more to say, but at the moment, I have been embracing the "nothingness" of NOT doing treatments, NOT charting, and NOT wondering if there is any damn thing in this world that I could do differently to change my situation.  I am just being, and for now, I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment