Sunday, July 29, 2012

Starting Over

This week I was back to work for the first time in almost 5 months, and while I am so excited to be working again, I forgot how completely exhausting it was to commute almost an hour each way on public transportation and work 8 hours! I have been mentally and physically drained.  Yes, I realize that this is normal, and nothing to complain about,but this isn't a complaint at all, more of a reminder of how truly relaxing it was to operate under my own schedule. 

That said, here is a recap of the good and bad things I learned this week at work.

GOOD
*  We can wear jeans to the office. This is amazingly awesome to me.  As much as I am happy to wear business attire, nothing compares to a jeans day once in awhile.
*  We get done at 3pm on Fridays during the summer. Truthfully, I don't ever do much on Friday evenings, but it seemed like I should be excited about this, so I am.
*  I have one whole week next month off - paid - and it doesn't count against my vacation time.  It is just a freebie for everyone to regroup and relax at the end of summer.
* My co-workers seem really fun and funny. People are laughing all the time.
* My organization is currently working on a number of really exciting projects, so I think there will be a lot going on to keep me occupied and engaged.
*  There is a Pret directly accross the street. If you do not know what Pret A Manger is, Google it. Best ever!

BAD
*  I kind of forgot how hard the learning curve can hit at a new job.  I am back to the point of feeling dumb because I don't know what is going on, and feeling like I am not contributing.  I am looking forward to being able to do some "actual" work, and prove to my team that I can hack it.
* I think my eyes almost started bleeding from all of the reading I did last week.  It was good in terms of helping inform me of what was going on, but by day 4, I was starting to get a migraine and my vision was blurring.
*  I feel like a new kid in high school, sitting alone at the lunch table.  I know it takes time to make friends, but I am hoping that I do.

Anyway, I wish this update were more entertaining, but I wanted to put it out there for those of you that I know IRL that have been asking to know about the job! I promise I will try to be better about posting more frequently once I get settled in.

Au Revoir for now!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your job is going well. It sounds like an amazing place to work! You'll make friends, I'm sure of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sweet, KK. :) Thanks for the encouragement. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete