Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Reviews!

What? Book reviews? Yeah, not my standard MO, but lately, my life has been about as exciting as


I have been reading a lot, in part to meet my goodreads goal of 50 books this year (over halfway there!), but also because I am a big fan of escapist literature.  You know, the kind that is not even close to my real life, so I can pretend for a few hours that I really am not super lame, sitting in my sweats, eating Chinese food, having conversations with my dog.

I have a Kindle Fire that is closer to me than some family members. We spend time together every day, and I feel that we have a loving relationship. I wouldn't say that it is replacing my husband........but kind of. I have this thing that sets the bar for good books with me, its

 

This past weekend, this feeling came around again, when I was crazy enough to read 3 books in 3 days.  ThoughtlessEffortless, and Collision Course - all by S.C. Stephens. I will preface this by saying that I have had a lot of free time, since I am not back to work yet, so perhaps the absence of feeling like my time is valuable and limited may have influenced my decision to stay up till 4am for three days in a row. That said, I really enjoyed all 3 books, and my decision to read them was based far more on the reviews than the publisher's descriptions, which I actually thought sounded kind of lame.

SO, for those interested in some sexy, romantic, engaging fiction, here are my reviews.

Thoughtless

Kiera is a college student with a hot Aussie boyfriend that she is in love with. When her boyfriend gets his dream job accross the country, she decides to go with him and finish up college in a new city where she can be with Denny. Although this kind of breaks the first rule of female independance, I get it - first love and all. The romance is deep, the sex is hot, and the accent can't hurt.

Anyways, they end up moving in with Kellen, an edgy, sexy musician and long time friend of Denny's. Kellen gives gives Keira a lady-boner from day 1, but she just considers it window shopping since she still gets her rocks off on Denny. After not too long, Denny has to take a long term assignment out of state, and leaves Kiera alone in a city where she knows almost no one except aforementioned sexy, edgy musician. And this my friends, is stupid boyfriend mistake #1.

Lines start to get a little blurry between Kiera and Kellen. He tries to befriend her, and help her cope with Denny being away, but secretly he kind of makes her tingly, and it is really hard (tee hee) to ignore the chemistry between them.

Dumb boyfriend mistake #2 happens when Denny decides (without talking to Kiera) to take a permanent position out of state. Obviously when he tells her this, shit hits the fan, and she tells him he can take a walk.  Several comforting tequila shots later, the plot thickens.....

No further spoilers, but as someone who has been tangled up in an intense (though imaginary) love triangle between Tom Hardy and Channing Tatum, I can fully relate to the pain that comes from having to choose between two equally appealing pieces of man-candy.

HIGHLIGHT: Naughtiest club move ever in this book.


Effortless

I wish I could say more about this book, but because it is a sequel to Thoughtless, I can't say too much without spoilers.

I will say that Kiera eventually makes a decision, but since Thoughtless was basically a Pong match between the sexy Aussie and the edgy musician, this relationship is about as trustworthy as a used car salesman.....so I guess that makes the title misleading, but believe me, it all makes sense as the book goes on.

HIGHLIGHT: Involves a party, and a bathroom.

Collision Course

This book is also super emotional and complex, but in a different way than the other two.

Lucas was a popular kid in high school, finishing up his junior year. He played football, was in love with his girlfriend. Pretty much all of the stereotypes that high school dramas are made of.

But then, at the end of junior year, he is the driver in a fatal car accident that kills his girlfriend and his 2 best friends. Suddenly, he is blamed for their deaths, he stops playing football, he struggles to cope, deals with severe survivor's guilt, and is basically a justifiable disaster.

He meets Sawyer (a girl), who is kind of a social outcast, but doesn't give two shits what people think, and becomes pretty much the only person that will still talk to Lucas.

I can't even attempt to make this review funny, because I seriously ugly cried Farrah-from-Teen-Mom-Style at points while reading this book. The last time this happened was when I was reading Marley and Me, and I had to explain to my husband that my uncontrollable sobbing was caused by the death of a Labrador I had never met.

The lack of judgement exhibited in the amount of hours spent reading these three books in a three day window, also carried over to me emailing the author in the midst of my book-induced insomnia to tell her how much I liked them.  I really did like them all - a lot....but I think I could have saved the melodrama.

In any case - the books have been linked, the reviews have been written, and you, my friends,  have been given the gift of new reading material.



No comments:

Post a Comment