Saturday, August 11, 2012

Public Transportation

I have been terrible about blogging, so for those of you that check in, I am sorry that I haven't had anythig new in awhile!  With my new job in full swing, I am having a hard time balancing everything else on my to-do list!

Now that I am back to commuting on the regular, I have been celebrating all of the joys of public transportation. This last week held some of most awful public transportation situations rolled into a 7-day period.  First, there was the guy next to me on the bus who grunted literally the whole trip. It sounded like a perpetual clearing of the throat, combined with a growl, and was both frightening and distracting.  Then, I got on the subway and had a guy fall asleep on my shoulder.  I was in a middle seat and tried to move away, but I couldn't get too far.  He didn't wake up, just dozed on my shoulder until I could free myself.  Later in the week, the subway was PACKED because it was raining outside.  I made it on, but was positioned directly under the armpit of someone that had just worked a full day without deoderant.   The odor was horrible, but again, I had nowhere to go.  Adding insult to injury, the train stopped because there was a medical emergency on board, so there we were, packed like sardines and stopped for almost 20 minutes, while I tried desperately to avoid the armpit of doom. 

Yesterday, I was supposed to be flying home for a series of events that I was really looking forward to; the baby shower of a close friend, the wedding of another, and the birthdays of two of my nephews.  I am really lucky to have access to extremely discounted travelby flying standby, but after yesterday, I wonder if the benefits are even worth it.

Long story short, I didn't make it on the first flight, nor three flights following.  Not one single customer service agent would help me....they kept shoving me off and giving me phone numbers to call, sending me to different service desks, etc., and then I would do that, and no one would help me there either.  My cell phone died between the seemingly hundreds of calls home and to the customer service line (which was useless by the way).  I then paid for iternet at the airport so that I could try to look up flight information on my own, but the airport was a dead zone, and I couldn't even use the iternet service that I paid for. Since I kept being shoved off to other areas, I literally hoofed it from one end of the airport to another 4 times, while lugging my heavy bags. By this point, I was so upset that no one from the airline would take even 5 minutes to give me any information or help me, that my patience had worn thin.  After nine hours at the airport, I finally gave up and decided to go home.  I hauled my stuff to the bus stop, only to get there and find that they had moved the bus stop.  So, once again, I hauled my crap accross another terminal, and by the time I got out to the re-located bus stop it was pouring rain.  Seriously the worst day I have had in a long time. For what it's worth, Delta will be recieving a phone call about how I was treated by the agents, and I NEVER call in complaints for anything.

Anywho.....an enthralling update I am sure.  My basic message is that all of this disappointment led to the most delicious pepperoni and green olive pizza I have ever had, and as you may well know, pizza solves everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment